Please make sure your paper is the best it can be, this includes spelling, grammar and correct sentence structure. I highly recommend taking advantage of the writing center and their help. The final exam is on Wed. June 10th regular time. We will screen any short film you have made on this date as well.
I have decided that the final exam is “open book”. This means you may bring notes in or books. But, you cannot use your cell phone or computer. Below is the review sheet with everything that will be on it, including the actual essay questions that will be on the test. If you cannot be here this Friday please email me so we can arrange a time for you to take the test in my office next week during office hours.
“Film and New York City” Final Exam Review Sheet – Spring 2015
Short answer questions on the following:
- Names of early camera inventors in US and France
Name of Film studio at the beginning of film industry in Queens (where MOMI is now).
Name of the producer who founded Paramount Pictures.
Regeneration, the directors name, the producers name and the production company.
The Immigrant and Charlie Chaplin’s character traits. The landmark in the NYC habor that represents the American Dream.
The Visitor, who directed it and its style.
Hester Street – Jewish characters and customs
Gangs of New York – what time period and what main gangs are in conflict in the film
“How the Other Half Lives” – name of the book’s author and the social issues it documents
Five essay questions:
- Discuss the difference in how Gitl and Jake each dealt with assimilation in the film Hester Street.
- Compare the living conditions as portrayed in the film Hester Street with what you know about the actual tenements of that time period.
- Pick one scene from Gangs of New York and analyze the central issue or conflict in it.
- Discuss a scene in Do the Right Thing where the racial conflict is evident and use the names of the characters to describe the scene?
- What about the Girls and Orange Is the New Black make these television series unique?